• Tricia Arriagada

Stay Fit and Keep Your Social Life

Spring is here and vaccinations are making it possible to get out and enjoy life again. However, many are faced with the dilemma of trying to get back in shape while managing their social life. Sometimes it feels like social occasions and dinner with friends can sabotage our goals. Eating healthy and exercising doesn't mean sacrificing the things you love. You don't have to give up your favorite foods or skip out on social events in order to stick to your diet.


It is hard to change our behaviors if the new behaviors aren't pleasurable. That's why many people can't stay committed to an exercise program or healthy lifestyle. Starting out is hard. Motivation comes easy after you reap the benefits of getting stronger, feeling energized, and seeing changes in your body. So how do you stay committed long enough to reap the benefits? The answer is to make room for pleasure. Some people try to diet 100 percent of the time for fear of not reaching their goal. Then they are left disappointed because it was too difficult to adhere to such restrictions. Don't wait until you reach your goal before you allow yourself to enjoy a piece of pizza. It's what you do the majority of the time that is going to impact your life. A common phrase you will hear in the fitness community is "eat according to the 80/20 rule." This means eat healthy 80 percent of the time and for the other 20 percent eat whatever you want. There is a lot of confusion about what this looks like. Some people think it means eating clean during the week and eating whatever they want on the weekend. I found this chart on Fit Body with Anna Victoria that gives a good visual of what it is like to live an 80/20 lifestyle. Don't forget to factor in liquid calories. That slice of pizza is the same amount of calories as a large glass of red wine.



10 Tips To Help You Stay Healthy When You Eat Out

  1. Make a Healthy Swap For Your Side. For example, have broccoli with your hamburger.

  2. Tame your hunger. Have a healthy high protein snack before you arrive, or order a salad first. Also, drink plenty of water to stay full.

  3. Limit your portions. Order a half portion, share your entree, or order two appetizers instead of an entree.

  4. Make a heathier choice. Choose baked, grilled, broiled, or steamed over fried.

  5. Cut down extra liquid calories. Ask for a small pour of your alcoholic beverage.

  6. Go easy on the dessert. Have coffee instead of dessert or share with the table.

  7. Avoid social pressure. View the menu ahead of time to make your selection and try ordering first.

  8. Eat mindfully. Eat slowly and focus on being present with those around you.

  9. Ask for triple the vegetables

  10. Ask to make changes to your dishes. You can say no cheese, butter, or oils and ask for dressings on the side.



12 views0 comments