How to keep from gaining the Covid “19” lbs
Updated: Apr 28, 2020
If you’re like me you may find yourself eating more than usual. Boredom, stress, anxiety, and lack of routine, are some of the reasons we find ourselves overeating and making multiple trips to the pantry. You may be thinking that once things go back to normal, you will be dieting and exercise again. Unfortunately, we can’t count on when, or how, the new normal will go. Instead of falling back into the habit of yo-yo dieting, you can follow these tips to start managing your weight today.
10 tips to manage your weight without dieting.
1) Don’t let yourself get hungry. It’s hard to control your portions and make good choices when you are hungry. By eating three meals a day with a small healthy snack in between, you will be more likely to make good choices.
2) Eat more fiber. Not only does fiber have many health benefits like preventing heart disease and lowering cholesterol, it also helps curb your appetite by making you feel fuller longer. Not to mention, it promotes good digestion.
3) Take your probiotics. Probiotics have been proven to support weight loss in that they provide beneficial bacteria to your gut correcting the imbalance of good and bad bacteria. Correcting this imbalance will improve your digestion leading to optimal vitamin and mineral absorption and as a result, boosted metabolism.
4) Drink more water. Drinking just 17 ounces of water can burn 23 calories. It also has other benefits like promoting good digestion, aiding in weight loss. Also, drinking water before meals can keep you from overeating by making you feel fuller.
5) Don’t deprive yourself. You didn’t put on the pounds because you had two slices of pizza one night. It was probably from eating out of boredom instead of hunger, overeating at lunch or dinner, or drinking your calories. Go ahead and let yourself eat the foods you like and drink the drinks you enjoy. Just factor these foods or drinks into your daily calorie intake. Enjoy them in moderation spread out throughout the week.
6) Write down what you eat. It’s been proven that writing down what you eat will help you lose weight because it increases your mindfulness around eating. How often have we been on autopilot with our hand in the chip bag, not really knowing how many chips we’ve eaten?
7) Meditate. Meditation helps you become more aware of your thoughts and actions including those related to food. It especially helps with overeating and emotional eating.
8) Keep your hands busy. Try crochet, adult coloring books, or word games on your smart phone. Remember to be mindful of how much time you spend scrolling through social media. A study posted in the Journal of Social and Clinical psychology shows there is a link between social media and a negative effect on well being.
9) Move. Did you know that constant motion even while sitting burns calories? You can burn calories just by fidgeting. Remember this when you missed that workout you were planning to do. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you can make it a goal to move every day, you are making progress. Take advantage of these beautiful days and get outside and go for a walk.
10) Make healthy snacks accessible. Yogurt, hummus, almonds, fruits, and vegetables are just a handful of healthy snacks ideas. If you feel the urge to eat something unhealthy give yourself permission to have that snack, but only after you eat a healthy snack first. Chances are you will pass on the unhealthy snack once you have had time to process whether or not you really needed it.